Saturday, October 18, 2008

Module 4

The focus of my efforts for this module was the midterm. I really enjoyed this approach to online learning. The jigsaw activity was a very positive experience, as I had the opportunity to work in a small group with two of my classmates. The smaller group created more of a connected feeling among group members. We communicated both through our group discussion and by phone in a conference call. We quickly decided on our approach, and each team member did a thorough job on her piece of the jigsaw. My team mates were fun and easy to work with.

Our jigsaw assignment was to choose an assessment tool from a list and write up a description, along with examples of objectives and applications of the tool. Sherry chose quiz and test builders and examined several online survey choices. Pam chose reflection assessment tools and researched several different blog sites that could be used by teachers. I chose peer-to-peer collaboration tools and discussed Adobe Connect, which I use with my online classes. Our group also wrote about some applications of these tools in education. The process led me to think of more applications that will improve what I offer my students. I am also looking forward to seeing what other groups post and getting some more ideas.

I wish that I could use the jigsaw method with the classes that I teach online, but our school doesn't provide or encourage students to communicate with each other independent of teacher- monitored chats. I guess I could post a discussion forum for this purpose, but it would be a lot to manage with the great number of students and academically diverse groups that I have. (A number of students just don't do their work.)

The jigsaw activity works best when you have motivated participants. In a group of teachers, it works very well, as evidenced by the projects. I am learning a lot about a great variety of tools. The research and analyses done by my classmates saves me a lot of time and helps me figure out which ones to try with my classes. The examples also inspire lots of great ideas for application.

For our completed jigsaw document, please see the links on the bottom, right side of this blog.

~ Ginnie

1 comment:

Paula said...

Ginnie: Thank you for commenting on the communication aspect of your mid-term experience and benefits of connecting via phone conference.

Your portion on Adobe Connect contained so many real-life examples from both teacher and student perspectives.